The Mother Church
of The Dakotas
517 Douglas Avenue, Yankton, SD 57078
Christ Episcopal Church, the “Mother Church of the Dakotas,” is located in Yankton, South Dakota, once the capital of Dakota Territory; a picturesque city of about 14,000 inhabitants located on the Missouri River.
We are seeking a full-time Rector who will help us to revitalize our aging and dwindling congregation of 100 parishioners.
Average Sunday attendance at Eucharist is around 35 individuals, many of whom are active in the community by providing human resource to various assistance programs in the community.
Being a small congregation, our parish has been functioning over the past few years on a budget reliant on limited interest earnings from invested funds.
In seeking a full time rector, the congregation is committed to being responsible for its financial situation so that the rector can engage in a ministry that focuses on:
• Leading our congregation to embrace the realities of a family sized church.
• Encouraging and empowering the ministry of every member.
• Being a steady and loving shepherd.
• Encouraging the congregation to be faithful stewards.
• Sermons that engage the congregation.
• Sermons that connect worship to a way of life.
• Sermons that encourage a deeper relationship with Christ.
• Deepening member relationships.
• Modeling caring as the work of the whole church.
• Training to provide for the care to others.
• Prioritizing the work of staff.
• Overseeing the care of our historic and beautiful facilities.
• Empowering the Vestry to be proactive in the upkeep of the parish.
As a congregation we are committed to:
Provide care and support for the rector
• Welcome our new rector (and family) into our community.
• Offer our prayers and companionship in doing the work of Christ.
• Be open-minded about new visions and ministries that can revitalize us.
• Communicate concerns in a timely and respectful manner.
• Be responsible in providing the financial means to support a full-time rector.
Participate in and support parish life
• Be faithful in attending worship services.
• Participate in Christian education and formation.
• Participate in community outreach.
• Assist with pastoral care to parishioners.
• Offer leadership and/or assistance when there is a need.
• Support our lay ministry team in assisting with services as needed
• Support the Vestry by being willing to serve on it and assist it as needed.
Christ Episcopal Church
517 Douglas Avenue
Yankton, South Dakota 57078
Christ Episcopal Church 517 Douglas Avenue Yankton, SD 57078 605.665.2456