The Mother Church
of The Dakotas
517 Douglas Avenue, Yankton, SD 57078
The 2017 Diocese of South Dakota 133rd Convention occurs this week in Pierre. Creation Care will be having a larger than normal presence at the Convention with a new Creation Care Resolution, Convention Workshop, and Table-top Creation Care Poster Display. I will be reporting on the results of these events to Christ Church on October 1.
Chuck Berry, the Creation Care lead for the Diocese, drafted a resolution with support from other churches in the South Dakota Diocese Creation Care Network to be submitted to the convention for a vote. Christ Church of Yankton is a member of the Network. The resolution encourages lay and clergy leaders in the Diocese to more fully embrace the mission of Creation Care by using materials offered by The Episcopal Church for this mission, particularly:
1.The House of Bishops’ Pastoral Teaching and Study Guide: https://www.episcopalchurch. org/posts/publicaffairs/episcopal-church-house- bishops-issues-pastoral-teaching
2. The Genesis Covenant Project for greening individual parish/mission buildings: http://www.webofcreation.org/archive-of-resources/513-greening-your-congregation-going-tothenext-level
3. The Catechism of Creation book and course: https://www.episcopalchurch.org/files/CreationCatechism.pdf
4. Liturgical Materials for Honoring God in Creation (from 2015 General Convention):http:/www.bce-ecww.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/HonoringGodInCreationMaterials.pdf
Creation Care Workshop
The Creation Care Workshop has been held for the last few years. Each year more parishes join the Network. This year the workshop agenda includes a discuss of the proposed resolution described above, sharing of the Creation Care activities completed throughout the year from each home church, and a discussion of ideas on how the Network can improve
Creation Care Table-top Poster Display
Chuck Berry has put together the Table-top Creation Care Poster Display which I will be helping present during the Convention. Check out the Creation Justice. Ministries website at: http://www.creationjustice.org. People always ask “What has Creation Care got to do with religion? The Green Bible themes help to answer this question. Our stewardship responsibility is rooted in the Bible as summarized in the
1. God made all things, declared them good.
2. God is present in and through Creation.
3. Humanity has an interconnection with God and Creation.
4. Creation care is an act of social justice toward humanity.
5. Creation harmed by human sin; disconnects us from God.
6. Creation is to be restored in God’s plan for redemption.
Another website for more information is: The South Dakota Diocesan Creation Care website at: https://www.diocesesd.org/ministries/creation-care-network/If you are interested in learning more about Creation Care or how you could participate, please contact me, Carol Smith after church or at: 605-661-5001 or email@example.com.
Christ Episcopal Church 517 Douglas Avenue Yankton, SD 57078 605.665.2456